Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My "Word" for the Year.....

I've been hearing a lot about people who are choosing a word to focus on this year. (Ya know, like a goal or resolution.) I've read about it on the internet and many blogs, and heard it discussed about on tv and radio. Some words I've noticed being talked about are "simplify," "intentional," "commit," "deeper," "joy," and "forgiveness."
I've been giving this a lot of thought.....what should MY word be? I could easily apply each of those words I mentioned to my life, in some area. But I needed a word that I could apply to ALL areas of my life and a word that would challenge me. I have decided that my "word for the year" is.....LOVE.
Maybe that seems like a pretty obvious word or maybe not very "deep." But, wow, this is something I know I need to work on. I know I can do much better at showing love to my family and others. After all, Love is the greatest commandment.

Mark 12:28-31 says:
28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”
29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[a] 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[b] 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[c] There is no commandment greater than these.”


Being completely honest here, I often wonder why THE (2nd) MOST IMPORTANT commandment is also THE MOST DIFFICULT (for me at least)?? Cause when He says to "love your neighbor," He is speaking directly to me, in a very literal sense! Ha!
So, wanting to work on this love word this year, I had to ask "what does it mean to love?" The answer is found in a verse that many people are very familiar with and have read a hundred times. At least I have, but haven't always taken the time to really ponder and apply to my life situations.

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 says:
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.


I can honestly say that at one time or another I could be given a big, fat F on a good portion of these "love behaviors." Am I patient when things aren't going exactly how I'd like? Am I being kind to others, with my words and actions? Do I keep on ongoing list in my head of all the wrongs other have done to me?

Yeah, I've got A LOT to work on. And He will help me with showing love to others if I just ask Him. It's nice to know He's not finished with me yet!

4 comments:

Door to Bangalore said...

I like the concept of a theme for the year. Mine can be summed up as "Maturity."

Saying a quick prayer that you grow in your capacity to love this year.

-Travis

Sarah said...

Wow Jamie. That was dead on! Love it! God is faithful and I know He will help us both in this area! Be blessed!

candy said...

awesome post jaime :)

Heather said...

Thanks, This totally inspired me to pick these words, I tried to get it down to one word! lol.

"An unoffendable heart"

I guess i could simply say
"unoffendable"
Yeah, I like that ! Thanks again for the inspiration girl-
God Bless-
Heather