Wednesday, January 4, 2012

CHANGE

Yep, it’s 12:47 am and I’m still awake. Forgot about the caffeine in that little chai I drank tonight…..oops.



What a year 2011 was! It was a wonderfully, blessed year for our little family. We were able to do some fun things, spend lots of time together, & learn lots too.

 
At the beginning of 2011, instead of resolutions, I decided to choose a “word for the year.” The word I felt God wanted me to have as my “theme” was LOVE. I needed to walk in love. I will be the first to admit that I failed many times. With God’s help I did succeed many times though too. I learned a lot through the year, about myself and about others. There were times I struggled with my feelings, thoughts and emotions. There were times I conquered my (negative) feelings, thoughts and emotions. I am thankful for what I have been through on my journey to show LOVE to others.




That brings us to the NEW YEAR. I have been thinking about what I wanted my new word for 2012 to be.




First I thought “DRAMA-FREE” would be a good one. I do my best to avoid drama (who needs all the stress?) but truth be told, we had our fair share of it this past year and I’m done with it! I know our life is relatively calm to what others may deal with, but for us, it was ENOUGH to make us want to run for the hills! (hills meaning Neal wanted to move to Alaska; I voted for Hawaii)! Unfortunately, life is life, people are people and people are everywhere. (I suppose that’s where the learning to walk in LOVE comes in handy).




Welll, although I aim to be far more “DRAMA-FREE” this new year, I wanted something that was a bit deeper.








CHANGE.


This is my word for 2012. CHANGE. Already this little word has lots of meanings for Neal and I and our boys. We know change is coming. (and no I am not pregnant!) I can’t share all the details yet, but it’s gonna be good. Maybe a little tough at first, but still good.




I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to EVER just stay the same. I want to learn. I want to grow (not height-wise, I’ve learned to be perfectly content with all 5 feet of me). I want to be a better wife, mom, friend. I want to be more considerate. I want to be less of a control-freak. (I will however continue to be an organizer and planner---that’s just who I am and I think there is a big difference between those two things and being a control-freak. I will work on finding the balance.  I just felt the need to clarify that).   :) 


However, none of these things will change, unless I change.



 There are many ways to incorporate CHANGE:


*change…….the way I spend my time


*change…….my eating habits for the better


*change……the way I think


*change…….how I respond to situations I have no control over


*change……my tone of voice when speaking to my boys (when they still haven’t picked up their toys after I asked for the millionth time!)


*change…….my exercise habits (or lack of)


*change…….my insecurities into securities


*change……..my hairstyle


*change……..the idea that I can change other people

 I can only change me. That’s who I am responsible for. Others can do as they please, say what they want, or think whatever. I can only change me.




This year will be nothing short on CHANGE. And I plan on enjoying the ride!




Do you have a “word for the year?”



No comments: