***linking up with Faithful Fridays with Joy to share this story***
A couple months ago, a day or two before my boys started back to school, I took them for a special lunch to McDonald's. Kind of a little end of summer vacation celebration. As most McDonald's are at noon, this one was packed and busy.
After we had placed our order, I moved the boys over to the side, trying to keep them from bumping into others or in the way of those needing to get through. (Yes, I understand this is an almost always losing battle with two hungry, excited boys in McDonald's), but I try. :)
As we waited, I noticed an elderly lady standing up front placing her order. She walked with a cane. The cane fell to the ground. I pointed it out to Zach and asked him to go pick it up for her. He was very shy about it, but he did as I asked.
Shortly after that, she was given her tray with food (we were still waiting for ours) and the thought came to me......carry her tray for her. It took me just a split second to talk myself out of doing that.....the place was packed, I wasn't going to leave my boys up at the counter by themselves, we just needed to stay out of everyone's way, I was sure she could handle the tray AND cane just fine.......I know it was the Holy Spirit prompting me to help this lady, but I ignored it. I was being selfish and wanting to just stay in my own little comfort zone.
She walked past us, we were given our trays and went to get drinks and ketsup. Once we had all we needed, the boys and I turned around to look for a seat. I immediately saw her, sitting at a table, but no tray in front of her. The tray was upside down on the floor. Food everywhere. My heart sank. I about started to cry right there. A couple employees were helping her get things cleaned up and I knew I had missed it. I hadn't followed God's leading. It would have been such a simple thing to do, carry someone's tray. I could have been a blessing to someone. But I just thought how it would inconvenience me. I could have been an example to my boys on how to show God's love to others, in even the simplest of ways. But I didn't.
I have prayed and asked the Lord to forgive me for not obeying Him. I have prayed for more opportunities to show His love to others, in whatever way we can. And He has answered that prayer!
I am so thankful for His grace and forgiveness. I am so thankful He doesn't give up on me and that He continues to teach me, no matter how unteachable I may seem. I am so thankful for second (and third and fourth and fifth.....) chances.

4 comments:
Oh Jamie,
That's a hard lesson to learn and I've done the same thing. Thanks for having the courage to share. This would make a great Faithful Friday post this Friday (hint hint). :)
Hugs,
Tammy
Jamie,
I wanted to thank you for linking up for Faithful Friday! I hope your story touches another heart and I know it will!
Have a great weekend, my friend!
Hugs,
Tammy
Oh, this is such a wonderful reminder to always be open to what the Lord asks us to do! Thank you for posting and linking it up. :)
God bless you!
Joy :)
I've had similar experiences. Thank you for sharing this today. It helps me refocus on what is important to our Heavenly Father.
Post a Comment