Monday, February 18, 2013

Blessing Bags

I'm joining Tammy today for Pinned It Made It Monday.
 
 
A few weeks ago I found a post/pin from this blog: http://kwavs.blogspot.com/2011/05/blessing-bags-how-to.html
 
It is all about teaching your children how they can help and bless homeless people your family may encounter.
 
I LOVED this idea of BLESSING BAGS.  However, in our little town, we do not see homeless people on the streets.  I was wanting to do some sort of project with my boys for Valentine's Day, and thought I could use the Blessing Bag idea in a different way.  I talked with a gentleman at our church who volunteers his time at our local food pantry.  I wondered if Blessing Bags would be something the pantry could use.  He was so excited when I told him my idea!
 
So, with the idea of sharing God's love with others on Valentine's Day, we went shopping for supplies.
 
We chose things like shampoo & conditioner, toothpaste & toothbrushes, bar soap, deodorant, hand sanitizer, tissues and snack foods such as granola bars, crackers, jerky, raisins, applesauce, and gum.
 
Then we packaged everything up into gallon baggies.
 
 

 
The boys enjoyed helping put these together and I hope to make more in the future!  Such a simple, yet practical gift that we can do to show God's love and care to everyone!
 
 

2 comments:

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

You guys are AWESOME, Jamie! I love this idea. What a loving heart you all have! Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea! And thank you for participating in Pinned it Made it Monday!

Hugs,
Tammy

Mary Ann said...

I love this idea! Great job! I like the idea of donating them to the food pantry--we don't see that many homeless regularly.